Author Topic: Wednesday 6 December 2017 Capt.Phil  (Read 311 times)

PeteAnkcorn

• Administrator
Wednesday 6 December 2017 Capt.Phil
« on: 07 December 2017, 00:54 »
After passing the 'fast & furious' riders heading the opposite way along the newly resurfaced Dyers Lane (I suspected they were just heading to Wedges Bakery ;-) , 12 riders set off for todays ride to Hampton Lucy. A slightly late start as the Stratford crew's train was delayed by 6 minutes (leaves on the line??) didn't give Nigel enough time to get to the meet in time but he would follow on and meet us at the pub later.
The route SE took us along nice quite lanes but into a stiff southerly breeze, with my plan of avoiding the A46 coming unstuck when I missed a turn at Norton Lindsey, and consequently missed Mr Gullen waiting for us at Sherbourne :-o!!
However we did arrive at The Boar's Head just as they opened at 12 noon - soon to be joined by Rob, Nigel and 'Seabass' (who had arrived by car!!). A nice selection of real ales and friendly service saw us suitably refreshed and off by 1.30 along a slight deviation from the published route - via Hatton Bank and the A439 - in an attempt to avoid the A46 to get to Snitterfield. Although it's a quieter road, the overtaking cars are a lot closer, so not really convinced it was the better option!!
With riders splitting off all the time for a short-cut home, we were down to 6 riders as we reached Snitterfield and then down to 5 as Clive settled down for a business call on a bench seat.
A nice tail wind helped us home and as we approached Packwood, Mr Buckley rode up the hill to rejoin us for the last leg home.
44 miles for me and home before the rain began (and a bonus pork pie in the saddle bag)!!