Author Topic: GPS & batteries  (Read 1418 times)

Rob Gullen

• Administrator
  • Cyclist! Cytech accredited bike mechanic
GPS & batteries
« on: 27 September 2015, 21:08 »
My Garmin (Edge Touring) doesn't seem to have the battery life claimed by Garmin's specification - it says 17, I might get 9 or 10 hours .... although I think this may be because it has the Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 mapping and the colour display may be power hungry (when compared with the Garmin installed basic mapping)

After consultation with "gadget man" Clive I have just purchased a battery back-up pack - it's a little bigger than a pack of cards, weighs very little and can charge two devices at the same time: you charge it up and it holds the power - you then connect it to a GPS, phone, tablet etc and it will charge/top-up the gadget's battery.   It topped up the Garmin from 50% battery to full in about 15 minutes and was equally fast topping up my phone.

This is the gadget: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BQ5KHJW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00  - and it cost £15.00

Rob
-----------------------------------------------------
Stuff at: www.beewee.org.uk  and www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

DennisSnape

• Administrator
Re: GPS & batteries
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2015, 19:52 »
Agreed, the Garmin Touring I have only has a battery life of about 8 hours in full screen map mode. It just about lasted for a 200k audax I did earlier this year. I have found however, if I switch it to the data (like a bike computer) screen I get a lot longer battery life....and if you are following a route at the same time it will still display the map again at road junctions and waypoints.
Dennis