Author Topic: Wednesday 27 June 2018 Capt. Phil  (Read 284 times)

PeteAnkcorn

• Administrator
Wednesday 27 June 2018 Capt. Phil
« on: 30 June 2018, 11:58 »
11 turned up on Weds for a 30 mile ride to Leicestershire. Unexpectedly cool first thing but we knew that want going to last!!
Still suffering from a 'stiff right knee', I had resorted to the 'durney' once again, but managed the first 25 miles without any electrical assistance. 11's (ok - a bit late) where taken at the recreation ground at Meriden, where lunch orders were rung through and Jon & Clive tried to solve an annoying intermittent 'clang' coming from the durney! Unfortunately only managed to make it more regular and told me I was just too heavy for it :-o!!
Two riders had headed for home before we approached Atherstone and the route got a bit lumpier, the 45lb weight of the durney started to take it's toll and I started up the motor on the hills! Just brilliant :-)
Arrived at the Black Horse at Sheepy Magna at 12.50 - 10mins ahead of schedule where some of us enjoyed pint of nice ale or cider and very prompt service.
Totally blue sky and full sun for the ride home along quiet, narrow country lanes - unfortunately one bend catching Judith out when she slid off her bike on some gravel! 'Luckily' the damage was limited to some nasty grazes & minor (but quiet bloody) cuts, and after getting cleaned up as much as possible, we were on our way again - with Mike B for a few miles!
Thought that was enough excitement for the day but as we approached Meriden, Linda narrowly avoided falling off when her chain became jammed by the crank. Clive came to the rescue once again, dismantling the chain and diagnosing a faulty gear lever/cable.
Back on the road again, and having been overtaken by Mike once more, we passed an Elvis scarecrow in Hampton before I left the remains of the peloton to there own devices at Knowle.
62 (assisted) miles for me. Well done to those who completed 70 or even 80 miles on such a hot day!