Author Topic: Wednesday 24 October 2018 - Burford  (Read 298 times)

Rob Gullen

• Administrator
  • Cyclist! Cytech accredited bike mechanic
Wednesday 24 October 2018 - Burford
« on: 24 October 2018, 18:22 »
On a glorious day the car assist ride from Shipston was very much a game of two halves for the 20 participants.
The morning ride out via Evenlode, Daylesford, Kingham, Milton-under-Wychwood was undulating with splendid (Nigel was there) views and honey-stone chocolate-box villages - before a very fast downhill and into Burford for an excellent lunch at The Cotswold Arms.  Very welcoming and fast service on the food together with a good range of beers, one of which even Stratford Bob wasn't aware of.
Leaving the pub there was a pleasant pootle along the river valley before arriving at the rather more severe undulations to take us via Chadlington (the only Cotswold village shop that I'm aware of that stocks the New York Times, and sells out every day.  This is Cameron, Clarkson, Beckham et al country) before a couple of tougher hills and into Chipping Norton before the last two hills and through the park-land road from Long Compton to Cherington.  A short retrace on the morning's route and back at the cars after about 49 miles.
As you may have guessed the afternoon session did involve the Captain with electrical assistance ... that said the battery consumption for the day was only just over 25% used so I must have pedaled quite a bit. [I did solicit orders for Orbea Electric bikes - which I can supply - at the top of several of the hills]
All in all a great day that seemed to be enjoyed by all.  This was the last Car Assist of the season, a few are already planned for 2019.
-----------------------------------------------------
Stuff at: www.beewee.org.uk  and www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk