Author Topic: Cracked Handlebar Stem  (Read 2262 times)

DennisSnape

• Administrator
Cracked Handlebar Stem
« on: 27 September 2015, 20:50 »
 A second hand bike I recently acquired has proved to be a bit over-sized for me. The reach is a bit too much so I decided to fit an adjustable handlebar stem today. To my horror, I discovered  the old stem was cracked almost from side to side directly underneath where the handlebars attach. Basically, unless you had a swan neck or turned the bike upside down to inspect it you would not spot it. It was literally minutes from failing, which had it done so on a fast decent for example would have been very painful :-[ So the lesson is, do turn your bike upside down and check for cracks in the frame, forks, seat post and stem regularly folks!!
Dennis

Rob Gullen

• Administrator
  • Cyclist! Cytech accredited bike mechanic
Re: Cracked Handlebar Stem
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2015, 21:27 »
Was that a "quill" type stem?    I still have two bikes with them ... I'll be checking.

Rob
-----------------------------------------------------
Stuff at: www.beewee.org.uk  and www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2015, 11:21 »
The word from my talkative bike shop in Hall Green (we all know who I mean) is to change the handlebars/stem every couple of years. I rather take the view that that's a bit of a sales pitch, but Dennis's experience is salutary. My bikes all have quill stems but they are less than five years old. The time to check is during a regular clean and polish (polish?!).

Rob Gullen

• Administrator
  • Cyclist! Cytech accredited bike mechanic
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2015, 13:20 »
The quill stem that was on my 1975 Galaxy until quite recently was the original!!!! - perhaps it is/was on borrowed time?  (a bit like I am now  ;D )

Rob
-----------------------------------------------------
Stuff at: www.beewee.org.uk  and www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

DennisSnape

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2015, 19:41 »
Yes it was a Quill stem, the bike was second hand so I have no idea how old it was.
Dennis