Author Topic: Research opportunity for the over-sixties  (Read 1142 times)

Research opportunity for the over-sixties
« on: 21 November 2016, 20:34 »
Most of these seem to be exclusive to the under-thirties so this one make's a refreshing change. If interested please contact James direct using the email address at the foot of this message.

-----

My name is James Mckendry, i am currently a PhD student at the University of Birmingham.
I am writing to you in the hope that you would be able to pass on the details of a research project i am going to be conducting whilst at Birmingham University.

My PhD is focussed on understanding how lifelong exercise (both endurance and power-based) alter muscle function and health. By understanding how the muscles of master athletes differ from those of the same age who do not exercise, we hope to provide clearer guidelines on how to maintain good muscle health and quality of life in old age. In essence, we see individuals that have continued to maintain a high level of exercise as the benchmark for what healthy ageing should look like, and want to spread this message as far and wide as possible through our research.

The individuals we are aiming to recruit for the study are:
•   Master power lifters and Master endurance athletes.
•   Between the age of 60-80 years, healthy, non-obese, non diabetic, non-smoker, no muscular dystrophy.

What is involved in the study?
•   Two testing visits to the School of Sport, Exercise & Rehabilitation Sciences at The University of Birmingham.
•   Assessment of body composition (amount of fat and muscle), muscle strength, muscle function and aerobic fitness.
•   A single muscle biopsy, blood sample and ultrasound analysis of muscle architecture.

What are the benefits of taking part?
•   You will gain an in-depth analysis of how much fat and muscle you have and how dense your bones are.
•   Access to expertise and advice from world-leaders in the field of exercise physiology, nutrition and metabolism.

Hopefully you are all still interested in speaking more about participating in the study. If so then please respond positively to this email and we will arrange a time to call you and speak further.

The master athlete over 60 years is a tough group to recruit from (there are so few of you out there!) so your assistance is invaluable to the successful completion of or important research.
Important to note is that all travel and accommodation expenses will be provided for this study, as we understand that many of the athletes may have to travel some distances to get to us. Of course if this is not feasible then we completely understand.

Kind regards,
James Mckendry

James Mckendry M.Res., B.Sc. (Hons), CSCS.
Exercise as Medicine Doctoral Researcher
School of Sport, Exercise & Rehabilitation Sciences,
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 2TT

Email: jxm965@student.bham.ac.uk